Monday, February 21, 2011

It's the New "Sensation" - Papaya


It's the new
"Sensation"!

This is the business my husband and son are in. 
They grow papaya in Colima, Mexico.
It's not your grandmother's papaya... it's a new
variety of papaya that consumers are going crazy over and it is called, "Sensation".
I have never been much of a papaya lover, but I will confess,
this papaya is the best.
It is a smaller variety with a milder flavor.
The papaya shown here was a little larger than my hand.
This evening I sliced this one for my husband and I to
share. You may be a "purist" with your food, however, papaya can be eaten with a little sea salt and lime
on top. For extra zest, add a sprinkling of Tajin.
It is a seasoning consisting of chili and salt with a little lime
seasoning. It is not hot.
As you can tell, I cut half of the papaya into bite-size pieces.
My personal opinion about serving papaya with other
fruit is that throws off the good flavor of the papaya.
So, I recommend eating it by itself.
I have also included a picture of one of our papaya trees
in Mexico.
Not all stores are carrying this variety yet, but
Central Markets in Texas, New York City, Toronto, Canada,
and the San Francisco and L.A. area of California.

Nutrition Benefits of Eating Papaya

- Papaya contains ‘papain’, a digestive enzyme known for aiding digestion.
- When consumed ripe, this fruit being easily digestible assists in preventing constipation.
-A study reveals that when this fruit is consumed alone for three days, it has a useful tonic effect in the stomach and intestines.
-The juice of papaya assists in mitigating infections of the colon. It also helps in breaking down pus and mucus.
-The consumption of ripe papaya is said to help in the prevention of cancer in organs and glands with epithelial tissue.
-Papaya helps tremendously in preventing nausea, including morning sickness and motion sickness.
- Papaya has rejuvenating properties that especially assists in controlling early aging.
-Eating papaya on a regular basis is known to restore strength and health to the body.
-Papaya is a rich source of antioxidant nutrients like carotenes, vitamin C, vitamin B, minerals, fiber, etc. All these nutrients boost the health of the cardiovascular system, apart from providing protection against colon cancer.
-Being a rich source of fiber, papaya consumption helps in lowering high cholesterol levels.



Join us for Tuesdays at the Table at
All The Small Stuff!



I am also joining "Tempt My Tummy" for the
very first time! Check it out!!
at blessedgrace.net

20 comments:

Kuki... said...

Impressive...very cool!!!

Kathy said...

yummm, I love papaya, my Dad lives in P.V. and we always have them there...sounds like are good for you too

Rita said...

Congrats on your farming endeavor. I hope it is very successful. I'm not sure I've ever eaten papaya, guess I'll have to try it!

Julie Harward said...

Sounds wonderful...wish I had some right now! Sounds like you have a winner1 ;D

Theresa said...

I haven't tasted Papaya yet but I just might have to try it! I love the picture of the tree:) Have a blessed day dear Karen, HUGS!

Laura said...

This is wonderful Karen!
David's produce is always delicious.
I miss Mexico too!!!!!

Laura

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Looks great, Karen and healthy!

René said...

I love papaya! This is very impressive!

-Rene

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I will confess I have not been a big fan of papaya.. however that photo is so much more luscious then what we get around here.. and your suggestion of lime and seasalt sounds great!...

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Karen, I'll be on the lookout for this type of papaya. Reading the list of benefits, I can see that I need to eat some papaya. What an interesting occupation. laurie

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a good papaya ambassador you are! I love the idea of eating it with a little salt and lime.
YUMMY!
Yvonne

podso said...

I love this post and your photos are beautiful. When we lived in West Africa we ate papaya ("paw paw") almost daily, and always when we had pineapple (to cut the acid.) Wherever we had a compost pit, a papaya tree would grow. I hope your variety comes to our southeastern city!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I loooove papaya and lime! I fork the top of the cut half so it has little holes to absorb the lime juice. Good luck to your family's new endeavor.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I also loooove Mariachi music! :D

shannon i olson said...

I will have to look for this variety, I have to admit I don't really love papaya, I can eat it but ...would rather have a mango. I wonder if I will find this one way up here in ND!!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Karen...

What an interesting post, my friend! I have to admit, I have tasted papaya but I'm not a big fan of it! Of course, I never tried it with the different seasonings on it. It does look delicious! Wow...I didn't realize that your husband and son have a papaya farm in Mexico! I'm sure this has brought many interesting experiences your way, my friend! I was reading your profile and see that you live on the Texas/Mexico border. I lived near Corpus Christi for 30 yrs. Thanks for sharing your papaya recipe with us...as well as all the interesting facts about papaya!

I also wanted to thank you for stopping by and taking a peek at my tea-scape today! I really enjoyed your sweet note, my friend! Come by anytime!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Pondside said...

That looks yummy. I'll ask at my local grocer - Thrifty Foods - if they'll carry it.

Natasha in Oz said...

All of my friends and family keep trying to convince to eat papaya but I just don't like it. I wonder if that variety is available here because by the sounds of it I should give it a try!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Apron Senorita said...

Oh my gosh Karen, the papaya look delicious. Love them with a hint of lime and salt. I'm going to look for some at the grocery store.

Yoli :)

Nancy's Notes said...

That is just incredible news! I can't wait to taste some of your new papaya, everything the Peterson's have ever grown is just outstanding!

Hugs,
Nancy