Friday, August 6, 2010

Show and Tell Friday: Daddy B's Typewriter


Daddy B's typewriter

My sister and I would stay with each set of our grandparents for a couple of weeks each summer.
Visiting our paternal grandparents meant many different experiences:
- riding in my grandfather's red MG with the top down
- picking peaches from the peach trees at their "stock farm"... a term we don't seem to hear anymore
- riding on the Brackinridge Eagle in San Antonio (my grandfather owned it)

What I think my sister and I really enjoyed was being in our grandfather's home office, sitting at his desk and pecking away on his typewriter.
This was around 1955, or so.

Daddy "B"

The typewriter, a Hernes 3000 was extra special and unlike my father's typewriter.
This machine was green AND it typed
in script!
I thought that was so unusual.
On top of that, my grandfather had a brown ink
ribbon in the typewriter. Leave it to Daddy "B" to be unique. He typed all of his letters in spite of the beautiful handwriting he had.
Perhaps it was having access to Daddy "B's" office that led me to a life-long passion for
office supplies and to enjoy typing.
You will see Daddy B's typewriter on my blog
always. I inherited it!
It doesn't really type anymore and I am sure
to find someone to clean and repair it would
be a monumental task, but I love to
look at it, remembering the hours of
pleasure I got from it.


I am linking to Show and Tell Friday
at
My Romantic Home

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh my gosh, I remember an old Hermes typewriter just like this. My mother had one and I loved plunking away on the keys. Time with grandparents is so special. Lovely memories, Karen.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What wonderful memories you have. I love the typewriter..priceless. When I brought my first typewriter home, my boys asked, "Where does the paper go?" Cherish it forever:)
Betsy (The Family Jewels entry)

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Karen, how neat to have your Daddy B's typewriter! It's always great reading about your incredible family treasures!

Love,
Nancy

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

What a great story. Love the picture of Daddy B...he looks quite debonair and seems to have some private joke going on with that big smile on his face. Time with Grandparents has no compare. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a great memory! You are so lucky to have enjoyed your grandparent's company - mine had all passed prior to my birth.
Your Daddy B was a handsome man - and how wonderful that you have his beloved typewriter! Yay for you :-)

Jo Anne said...

Here is the story behind Daddy B's picture: He and Mother were going somewhere and they stopped by Bradshaw's in Big Spring to either pick up or drop off some pictures. The photographer asked Daddy is he could take his picture and here is the result.

Theresa said...

WOW Daddy B is one handsome fella! How special that you have his typewriter! You should post something that he wrote with it:)

Have a blessed day my friend! I am spending the morning catching up on what my peeps posted while I was hopping around on Rooster posts:) HUGS!

shannon i olson said...

Wonderful memories, perhaps you would consider linking to Story tellers in Sept. this would be great!
I am still out checking on the bloggerette list, I may never get done!!

René said...

I know you are glad to have that typewriter. Those must be fond memories of a special time with your grandfather.

-Rene