Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, to the man in the kilt!

My father, Calvin C. Boykin, Jr.
March 1, 1924 - October 23, 2008

This photograph was taken in Scotland during WW II. My dad loved this picture, but was always embarrassed that he didn't have the right shoes... his military boots were all that he had. He loved, loved, loved bagpipe music, so when he passed away I made sure that we had a "bagpiper" at the funeral.
Here is my dad's traditional birthday cake recipe below. It is delicious and so moist.

Daddy’s Chocolate Potato Cake

2 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
4 eggs
2 c. flour
4 Tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. each ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg
1 c. hot mashed potatoes (not instant)
1 c. pecans, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream 2 c. sugar with 1 c. shortening. Add 4 egg yolks and cream well. Sift together: flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add alternately the milk to creamed mixture along with hot mashed potatoes. Fold in 4 stiffly beaten egg whites, pecans, and vanilla. Grease 3 round cake tins and line with wax paper. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Icing:
1 box powdered sugar
½ c. butter
1 egg yolk
3 Tbsp. cocoa
5 Tbsp. hot coffee

Beat sugar, butter, egg yolk and cocoa together and then add hot coffee.

P.S. -- My father grew up in West Texas, so even he called his father "Daddy" until the day he died. Me too! What do you call your father?

Update: Today as I prepared this cake I was just about to slip this into my nice and hot 350 degree oven when the power went out. Yikes!! I waited and waited... no power. I ended up calling a friend and I rushed my cake over to her house where she had her oven ready for me to slide in the cake. And by the way... I used an oblong Corningware casserole dish. Thank goodness I wasn't juggling three round cake tins. I am preparing this for a gathering of some of our church members at a friend's home on Monday night. Hopefully I will remember to take a picture of this cake ... and hopefully it will be suitable for posting. (I just keep wondering if those whipped egg whites were ruined by the delay in baking...) Wish me luck!


10 comments:

Nancy's Notes said...

Karen, what a wonderful picture of your dear and precious daddy. So very handsome! I know you miss him terribly, thanks for sharing the special picture and recipe! Hugs.

Laura said...

Karen-
There is no doubt about it. Your father was a renaissance man. What an interesting, dynamic life he had.

You have the same qualities friend!

Laura

Celestial Charms said...

What a treasured photo to have. Your father looks ever so handsome here, and the shoes look just fine. Thanks for showing us such a lovely photograph.
Maureen

Bama Belle said...

Happy Birthday to him indeed. thinking about you on this special day sweet friend! You know I love the kilt!

Deb said...

good looking fellow...Happy Birthday to the man in the kilt....

Unknown said...

G'morn, Karen ~ I LOVE the treasured picture of your Daddy! Never can get enough of viewing, or having my own, vintage photos ...

God bless his soul, & lift your heart.

Have a wonderful week.
TTFN, Hugs ~ Marydon

Jo Anne said...

Great picture choice Karen. I love seeing my brother this morning, of all mornings! Clay has posted 18 pictures of him on Facebook.

Jennifer said...

Great photo!

I've noticed that John's mom and aunt call their parents "Mother" and "Daddy"

BeautifulDees said...

How priceless, I love the Irish,the music and the drive.
Love/Debbie

linda t said...

Hi Karen,
What an amazing Daddy you had.
My Mother-in-law (from Texas) always called her Dad Daddy too. Love that the Southerners do that. So sweet.
Thanks for your encouragement as we begin our kitchen remodel. I will be looking to you Karen... as you have been there, done that :)