Monday, October 5, 2009

Time for a redo on the bookshelves


This may be like airing dirty laundry.. but I am getting ready to redo my bookshelves. Some of this did not originally go on the shelves... they're just there ready to be placed somewhere. I have some milk glass that I am considering putting in there. Also, I have two shelves to install that years back I had removed. The colors in the room are a light olive green and brown. The old National Geographics date back to the 1930's and I love them, but it's time to put them somewhere else. I would like to see a nice mixture of books, plates or vases... something of that nature. Suggestions?? And the deer head stays. I know. That's another subject.

3 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love the mantel, it looks gorgeous and the bookcases are such an asset. I am with you in that decorating shelves is really hard. I would just empty everything and then start with a group of plates, books, photos and plants that you want to have in them and then go by trial and error. I love to see some books layed flat and objects displayed on top of them. I've found that magazines are a great inspiration for ideas. Good luck, I can't wait to see the finished project. Hugs, Marty

Lori E said...

Mary is absolutely right. Some books lying flat can make a nice bookend for some uprights and a good spot to place a special photo or dish.
I have heard before the the shelves should have a mix of books, metal, natural and greenery. I don't care much for the fake greener but maybe an african violet or other small potted plant.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

That's a whole magnificient mantel and bookcase surround! You've got a lot to work with there. I usually mix a few decorative objects into my bookcases but I actually use mine to house my books. But if you don't need to, then I would do pictures, plates, other objects. Maybe line the back of your bookcase with some paper that would cooridinate with your room. You can use scrapbook paper, gift wrapp,or wallpaper. Either double stick tape or tack it. If you're brave you could paint the back of the cases. I'm sure you'll come up with something pretty!

Manuela