Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Department 56 Fall Home

Fall at my house... 
at least at my Department 56 house

I really enjoy "playing" with my Department 56 Snow Village. I've been a collector for about 25 years. 
Every year I buy one piece and a few small items for
decorating. My husband has been bitten by the bug as 
well, and for the past 15 years we have always enjoyed our
Christmas shopping trip together. We shopped for the boys, and then we shopped for the year's new building.
This particular piece I love because the home reminds me
of my aunt's home in Dallas, Texas.
I bought it for that very reason. 
 Aunt Rachael married my Uncle Joe and 
together they built the home they were 
in for 60 years. 
My mother lived with them throughout
her college years at SMU.
We all loved this home so much.
It is gone now, but my memories 
have always been wonderful.
I have a circular window in my living room
that is similar to Aunt Rachael's. 

I always wanted to enjoy my Snow Village pieces at a
time other than Christmas. Not all of them are 
adaptable, but I managed to make a stack of pumpkins
to cover Christmas wreaths here.
So much fun!!




14 comments:

Celestial Charms said...

Hi Karen,
What a pretty autumn village you have created. I too, collect Dept. 56...The Dickens Village. My only complaint, is that they take up so much room for storage. ;)
They are a wonderful addition to one's decorating. Your Aunt Rachael and Uncle Joe, were a very beautiful bride and groom.
Maureen

Hearts Turned said...

What a lovely story, Karen! I love that you found a house that brings such sweet memories to you...and how wonderful that your husband loves collecting them with you!

Great job adapting it for fall!

Hope you're having a wonderful night, my friend!

Julie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That is just awesome Karen!
I love the story and I love your Dept.56 house, so charming!
Cindy

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

I love the villages and for the same reason....they remind me of things from my childhood and bring such wonderful memories. Love your fall home!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Karen - this is a beautiful post - and a warm memory of your Aunt & Uncle's home :-) I love Dept 56 merchandise and your fall "neighborhood" is lovely!

Theresa said...

Aren't you creative to use the collection other than Christmas! It is gorgeous as is your Aunt and Uncle! Enjoy your day my friend! HUGS!

Lisa said...

What a clever way to display your treasures! I collect the North Pole series. I haven't gotten any new pieces for the last few years, but I do enjoy it. I love the sweet story about your Aunt and Uncle.:)

Rita said...

Karen, that is wonderful that you were able to re-invent your village home into a "Fall" home and enjoy it not only at Christmas, but during other times of the year also. Dallas is my old stomping grounds! But I am glad to be in a much slower pace of life here in east Texas. I'm glad that your "house" brought back memories to you.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Karen!

Well, aren't you just the most clever chickie! I love your "fall" home. Splendid.

Huggies,
Spencer

Apron Senorita said...

Oh such wonderful memories and treasures. The weddingg picture is precious!! Your collection sounds like a lot of fun and exciting that you've been collecting for so long. Have fun and enjoy the fall.

Yoli :)

Cindy said...

I too grew up in Dallas..and my mom worked at SMU for years. I love the homes in that area!!
I have a lot of these Deptment 56 homes..I never thought about putting them out for other holidays..the snow on them thows me off! lol..Where do you find the small pumpkins?

Thanks for sharing. Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Anonymous said...

I never thought about using the houses at another time of year...aren't you too ingenious!! I love it.
JB

Deb said...

pretty Village...I love your header

Kathy said...

I can't wait for the Christmas pictures with all your village up, I've just starting getting a piece for my brothers family every year this will be year 4 and I so enjoy it and only wish I would have started a collection of my own years ago..how fast time goes. This was such a beautiful post