Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Haviland, Fostoria and a sign from my mother!





Last week in Austin, Texas was amazing. I shopped for vintage items for a booth I may open at a nearby consignment shop. If you have ever done this before you know that it takes a person made of steel not to bring home a "little something" for yourself. A-hah!
Well, one of the best parts of this was enjoying my shopping adventure with an old and very dear friend... Nancy from Nancy's Notes  --http://nancyozema.blogspot.com/
While shopping in an antique mall we came upon a beautiful display of Haviland china .. Rosalinde pattern to be exact. My mother and my grandmother's china pattern they had selected... and was passed on to me. Eight complete place settings were beautifully set on a dark wood table. Fostoria - American crystal, one of my favorite patterns to collect as my mother and mother-in-law had each passed down pieces to me.
It took me a day to decide if I wanted to "rescue" the china. It truly called to me. The next day I returned to the antique mall. The price had already gone up on the china, but the seller honored the previous price.
It was mine!
While shopping at an antique store in downtown Austin, I found a Fostoria - American punch bowl. It was such a bargain I hesitate to say what I bought it for.. but the owner of the shop asked me if I knew what I was getting. I told her I thought I did. (Maybe it was a reproduction as is so common with this particular pattern.) "Fostoria" she said. I replied, softly.. "I thought so".
Feeling a little guilty for my indulgent purchases I returned home with huge boxes with my treasures.
Today as I started to unpack the china, there printed on the outside of the box someone had written "Meme's Room".
Surely it was a sign.. the name was not spelled as we spelled it, but
my mother had sent a sign... "Mimi", my mother, approved!




Thank you, Mother!

8 comments:

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh dear Karen, I knew it right away! Oh I knew that china would end up going home with you! When I saw the look on your face when you first eyed the display of that beautiful Haviland china spread out on that table, then when you said it was your mother and grandmother's china, I knew, it was a done deal right then! That was the moment! I could see your face brighten up and I knew right then that your heart stopped and it was sold! I suspected that you would go back and take a look again! I am so happy you went back to get it, your mother and grandmother would be honored to know you indulged. A blessing in my book!

I had such a wonderful time antiquing with you, it truly was a treat.

Love you,

Nancy

Lori E said...

How special. It really was meant to be don't you think.

Julie Harward said...

Sounds like you are having lots of fun! And how sweet about your Mom! Come say hi :D

Laura said...

Wow Karen-
That was truly meant to be.
It sounds like you had a wonderful, adventurous trip.

Hope to see your treasures soon-

Laura

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Sometimes they touch is in the most interesting ways. Our loved ones that have passed on. I believe in this sort of thing..very strongly. I am so glad you got it...it is where it belongs!
I had to laugh at your story of your "lockout." Had we had a kitchen window I might just have tried it..but no kitchen window or even the kind that open. The sides of the house are all those slatted windows with metal every four or five inches.
I actually thought of breaking a windown and had I left the stove on...I would have! My little dog was in there all that time...
Not a great feeling.
Thanks for stopping by. I love your visits! :)
Hugs!!

Jo Anne said...

I was happy to follow the Haviland story first hand. I know you will enjoy it and so will your mother and my mother!

Pamela said...

Hi Karen! Thanx for stopping by earlier! Be sure to enter my giveaway if you have not already.
I would soo love to go junkin! It is on my bucket list to open a little shop with home decor items. A booth would be perfect to start but we do not have anything like that around here. I wish you much restraint!:)

From the Kitchen said...

Oh my goodness! My friend has that same pattern (the "rhubarb blog" that I did). I love it!

I'm missing "Mitford". By the way, that was an actual trip that I took with my friend Cynthia almost ten years ago. It was so much fun. I really think I'd go back if Jan ever does another reunion there.

Best,
Bonnie