Monday, March 29, 2010

Cascarones, confetti eggs, for Easter!

It's time to make cascarones!

It's Holy Week and while there are many activities planned around this special time of the year, a little time needs to be set aside for tradition. Here on the border with Mexico cascarones are very much a part of the Easter tradition. While the eggs above are still white, they are about to be taken through a transition. To do it properly it will take two days.
In years past, our three sons, my husband and I would gather around the dinner table to decorate Easter eggs. Yes.. even my husband got involved. It was so much fun. I'm wondering if my husband might even take the urge to participate this evening. Our youngest son will be by and maybe even he will want to get involved.
Ok... here we go.

I've made the marks on the "pointy" end of the egg just to show you where to
remove the top with a several taps of a dinner knife. Just tap around it gently to crack the shell and then carefully remove it. Pour the contents into a bowl and rinse out the egg shell very gently with cool water. Place empty side down on a wire cookie rack so that air will circulate through.



The opening should be about the size of a 50 cent piece.

Looks like a great night for quiche!

Let the egg shells dry for a bit before the decorating begins.
Check back later as I proceed through this process.

Wish me luck!


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

We started making ours yesterday! Wouldn't be Easter without confetti eggs. I'll be sure to post some pics of our process soon. Don't think they'll look as pretty as yours!

Julie Harward said...

Hi Karen, thanks for the visit! We used to do this when I was a kid too..can't wait to see them done! Come say hi any time :D

Lisa said...

This is so cool! I see them in the grocery stores this time of year. I'm going to give it a try. (I'll let you know.)
PS Your tablescape is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your bunnies on the table, and will look forward to seeing more on the eggs. Never heard of them.

Patty said...

These are so cute, I can't wait to make them this year ;) thanks for posting!