Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday is for Father

My father is the man on top of this armored car

In my father's book he writes, "This was taken during the Ardennas Offensive, and a few days after our withdrawal from St. Vith on the night of December 23, 1944. The crew of Pregi, Boykin, Hansen, and Powers lost their M-8 that night. So this must be the replacement M-8 to 1st Section 2d Platoon RCN CO, and the replacement crew, for Powers was transferred to Headquarters Plt., Pregi became 2d platoon sergeant, and Hansen became RCN CO radio man. As I remember, 2d Platoon was the first of RCN CO to begin taking on missions after the 23d December. The .30 cal machine gun mounted on the turret in the photograph is one I don't remember. This is the only doubt I have in my assessment of this."

This stated since some of you might be interested in this sort of thing (what a far cry from recipes and home decorating!) my father was a military historican, particularly for the 7th Armored Division. His stories were amazing. Most were recounted in his book Gare La Bete, published in 1995 and unfortunately out of print.

My parents - Rosemary and Cal

Fortunately my father survived a brutal war and married my mother. Many years passed before my father was willing to talk about his war experiences, but when he began talking and writing about the war, he revealed much of what made up his character - a love for life, adventure and he looked forward to every day.

1 comment:

Celestial Charms said...

Such an interesting post. I wish your Father's book was currently in print. It would be a fascinating read for anyone interested in history. How happy your Mom and Dad look in that lovely photo. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Maureen