Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Cabrito Time!



It's cabrito time... goat is one of my husband's favorite meats. This one was very fresh. We know the man who raised it... and his are the best. The only places I have eaten cabrito are on the border with Mexico and in Mexico around Monterrey, Saltillo to be exact. We prepare ours by seasoning it with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, a little meat tenderizer just to help it stay moist, and a little garlic powder. I baked it covered in a 325 degree oven for about 3 hours, cut it up and then put it on the grill to crispen it up and finish the cooking. It was so tender and moist. We like to eat it with guacamole, pico de gallo, fresh Mexican lime juice squeezed on top and then stuffed inside a hot corn tortilla. This is just the best meal... and served with a cold Tecate Light beer!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I have never had cabrito but I'm pretty sure I'd love it. I am a mexican food addict. Also, I love your dining room. If this is the progress so far you are doing awesome! Lisa

Lori E said...

This is new to me too. I am always up for trying a new beer.

bj said...

Hahaaa...I had to giggle at LORI E. comment !
I've never had goat...and most likely never will but I do understand it is very tasty.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You are an adventurous soul. I've eaten goat and enjoyed it, but I have never cooked with it. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Melissa Miller said...

I ate cabrito as a child when we would visit my grandparents who lived in Texas and then visit Mexico. It's sooooo delicious! It's been so many years but I would love to taste it again.